Braised Bread and Butter Roast
December 7, 2020 • 0 comments
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Servings: 4-5
- (3 tbsp) Olive Oil
- (2.5-3lbs) Bread and Butter Roast
- (1) Onion, Rough Chopped
- (2 Ribs) Celery, Rough Chopped
- (2) Carrots, Rough Chopped
- (2) Very Ripe Roma Tomato, Quartered
- (2 Cloves) Garlic, Crushed and Chopped
- (1 Cup) Beef Broth or Dry Red Wine
- (1) Bay Leaf
- (1 Sprig) Rosemary
- (To Taste) Salt and Pepper
1. Season bread and butter roast generously with salt and pepper.
2. Heat olive oil in a large, heavy bottomed pot over medium-high heat. Brown roast on each side for 1-2 minutes. Once browned all over remove from heat and set aside.
3. Add onion, celery, and carrot and sauté until onion is soft, 3-4 minutes. Add garlic, tomato, and bay leaf and sauté until fragrant, 1-2 minutes.
4. Add the beef broth or wine and scrape the bottom of the pot until any burnt bits are pulled up. Reduce heat to low.
5. Return beef roast to pot and place rosemary on top of the roast. Cover and cook until roast can be pulled apart by fork, about 3 hours.
6. Remove rosemary and bay leaf and discard. Remove roast from pot and let rest. While roast rests, turn heat up to medium high and bring remaining juices in pot to a boil and reduce by at least ¼ .
7. Slice or shred roast and drizzle the reduced juices over the meat. Serve with vegetables on the side.